Thursday, May 23, 2013

What does a student need to start earning money (and building a host of followers) from a blog and a YouTube channel? The answer: An AdSense account

A student can earn money from blogging and from posting videos on a YouTube account.  The student who wants to earn "passive income" from blogging or posting videos needs an AdSense account.

Here are the steps to getting an AdSense account.
1.  SIGN UP

  1. sign up for AdSense - Google

    www.google.com/adsense/apply

    Google AdSense: Select your Google Account ... Please be aware that you will not be able to sign up for AdSense without a valid postal address. 
  2. 2.  Learn how to use the AdSense number

  3. Google AdSense – Maximize revenue from your online content

    www.google.com/adsense

    GoogleAdSense is a flexible, hassle-free way to earn revenue


If you prefer a video to explain the steps, here is a video:




Anyone can post this sort of video:  (1) Explain how to do something.  (2) Post the video on a youtube account.  (3) Put a title that is easy for people to find.   Look at the name of this video:

How To Set Up a Google Adsense Account and Receive Payment From Google ...  That is a brilliant name for a video.



These steps are straightforward.  Now, what do you do with the AdSense account number?

You'll "monetize" the blog and the YouTube accounts that you set up.  I like Blogger.com for making a blog because it allows me to post 100 photos at a time.

You will see options.  You can read about the options (by click on the grey "?" marks) or you can click and see the items in action.

Remember to add the key words: "labels" in Blogger and "Tags" in YouTube.


Safety
(1) The student should not post items that can be tracked to the student's family.
(2) If the student lives in Miami, then post photos only of places that s/he does not visit often.  Perhaps "tour of Palm Beach" or "a visit to Key Largo."
(3) In general, don't post photos of daily life.  Instead, post photos and videos when you travel.
(4) If you post an item from your neighborhood, create a persona who lives in another part of the country.  "Here are photos that my cousin sent me"  or "Here are photos from a recent trip to Miami."
(5) Keep your parents informed.  Let them see the blog.
(6)  Show your blog and youtube channel to other adults.  Ask for hits.
(7)  When making a video, use steady hands or a tripod.  Think about how the video will look from the other person's perspective.

Tips about writing blogs and posting videos
(a) To earn bigger rewards, think about topics that are close to your heart and that you are passionate about.
(b) Give a clear title that is easy to find.
(c) Click on OTHER PEOPLE's channels and hope that they will subscribe and click "LIKE" on your channel and blog.
(d) Ask your friends on Facebook to visit your blog and youtube channel.  Each hit is helpful in raising your rank on the Internet.  Higher rank = more money per click or view on AdSense (at least that is what appears to be the case).
(e) Check your spelling.  It's helpful.  You have one chance to make a good first impression.  Spelling is part of the package.

Topics
The blog could be about an internship.
A student who has an internship at a vet's office could post a daily journal about what he saw or learned that day.  Without exposing the privacy of the patients, he could write about the cases that were analyzed and report how the doctor responded.  "I really admired how calm the doctor was.  I would have been annoyed by the situation, but the doctor smiled and showed no animosity.  I'm really impressed by his people skills."

The blog could be about a skill.
I know nothing about rugby.  I went to Youtube and typed "Teenager explains rugby rules."  I found this link:  http://www.youtube.com/user/bethhalldorson.  It turns out that this person posted videos made by a rugby association.  She didn't create the video.  (No value to me as a teacher.  I'm looking for a personal view and explanation of the game.)
Learn more

Here is an amateur coach's blog.   This is clearly written by an adult.  But why couldn't a teenager who wants to explain the game write a blog?
That's what a college admission officer might look for:  Look at this clear explanation of a difficult sport.  This blog / youtube channel clearly gets into my head and helps me understand the challenges of the game.  What could this person bring to our campus?   

The blog could be about a sickness and the recovery.  For example, Heidi, a student in Miami, wrote about the trauma she felt when she learned her mother was dying from leukemia.  Only after a bone marrow transplant was done (a match was made with a distant relative) was the worry removed.  Heidi's journal could hav been placed on the Internet with the personal bits (which could be linked to her) removed from the blog.
Contact the author of this blog
A teenager's journey
Here's a blog by a teen who became a novelist.

Why not write about what it's like to learn a new skill?  My students are between the ages of 14 and 18 and they are preparing for university by taking a college prep test called SAT or ACT or PERT.  These students need to hear from a peer or near-peer that "life is not about getting a better test score.  It's about learning to deal with failure and finding out how to pick up and move ahead" or "Even with the high score, I needed to show that I was special.  That's why I started keeping this blog:  I wanted to show that I could communicate about something."

Look at this entry from the Teen Novelist:


See the full listing

Friday, April 19, 2013


My Blog is Migrating

Hello everyone!

First of all, I want to apologize. I haven't posted in months and I don't really have a good excuse. I am a busy college student and all, but I've also just been lazy and I waste a lot of time doing other random crap on the Internet.

Secondly, I want to thank everyone who follows this blog for reading my posts and putting up with my craziness for ... how long as it been? Four years or something?

Unfortunately, I will no longer be posting on My Life as a Teenage Novelist. A quick explanation as to why:

A. Quite simply, I am no longer a teenager. I'm 20 now, so the title of this blog doesn't really apply to me anymore. I've thought about changing the title, but it just didn't feel right to me.

B. I think this blog is kind of a mess. It was my first experience blogging and I didn't really have any idea what I was doing. I was writing my first posts on here when I was 16 or so and I just wasn't that great at organizing my thoughts/advice or posting frequently enough. So, in other words, I feel like this blog is a bit outdated.

If you want to continue following me, my writing, and my advice, I will now be posting about writing on a Tumblr blog called Brigid Writes Things. (I decided to keep it simple, haha.) So, don't think of this as goodbye. Think of it as a new beginning. *Cue the corny music*

Once again, I'm sorry for taking so long to post this. And I'm sorry that I'm shutting this blog down. But it's been fun, and I hope to see you all on Tumblr! Thank you, wonderful followers! I love you all! 


Go ahead.  Click here
http://mylifeasateenagenovelist.blogspot.com/2010/10/ten-commandments-of-writing.html


So, in addition to studying the techniques that I advocate on my SAT test prep site FloridaTestPrep.com, perhaps students can also create blogs and youtube accounts... and earn some money.



No comments:

Post a Comment