Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A blogger talks about fear -- I hope some of my students select this guy to be their virtual mentor.

I ran into this guy's website about "how to learn a language."  You can find it if you do a search on his name and "language learning fast."

I'm sharing his email about Fear because it is helpful to some students who have read it.




Hey Steve,
I'm in Stockholm Sweden, packing up to return back to the USA after three months in Europe. It happens so often, but the melancholy never goes away.
Today, I want to send one of my most popular emails of all time. I wrote this just over a year ago while I was in Medellin, Colombia. It's been a big year for me, but the Fear is just returning.
I hope you enjoy this email below. 
======================
Fear

 I'm sitting here in a café in Medellin, Colombia, and emotion just came over me---I literally can't stop myself from writing this email.
  I've spent the last several years trying to engineer a lifestyle of freedom. I've followed my instincts. I've tried to only listen to myself, and flip the bird at naysayers and conformists.
 But right now, as I look around me, all I can feel is a single emotion--the emotion that, for years, I didn't believe I experienced. 
Fear.

  • I'm afraid of failing.
  • I'm afraid that I'm wasting my life---that what I'm doing doesn't really have meaning.
  • There are two insanely beautiful paisas sitting a table away, and I'm afraid of approaching them.
  • I'm afraid that I'm fat, that I'm ugly, that I'm unemployable, that I'm unlikeable, that I'm annoying, or --- worst of all --- that I'm boring.
And I don't know what do about it.
I've known for a long time that I'm 50x more productive when I don't have my laptop, but I'm afraid to go anywhere without it. Not having my laptop or phone inspired this post---I'm feeling naked without technology.
This essay has no answers. I'm not here to tell you how to face your fear, or become a digital nomad, or sell you shit, or whatever-the-fuck you expect me to do.
I'm just here to tell you that I know you're afraid of something. Me too. And it's killing me.
And maybe if I reveal my fears to you, you'll reveal yours to me. And we'll fight them together.
So, if you're game---reply to this email. Tell me what fears you face. At the very least, you'll make me feel better :)
Enumerating my fears has already made me feel better, like maybe I can solve them. And I want you to feel the same liberation.
Move your mouse. Click the reply button. Just type your #1 (or more) fears---things that hold you back.
And together,  we are going to kick some mothafucking stupid fearmongering bullshit-emotion ass.
==========
Some cool links I must share:
1) ZeFrank's unreasonably awesome video that will motivate you: MUST SEE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYlCVwxoL_g
2) A Dramatic Surprise on a Quiet Square - TNT's new sweet video, in Belgium: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=316AzLYfAzw
3) My new guest post on ThinkTraffic: http://thinktraffic.net/five-figure-guest-post-maneesh-sethi

-Maneesh Sethi
Stockholm, Sweden

No comments:

Post a Comment