Monday, January 4, 2010

We are the change we want to see in our schools

In 2004, I was a middle school teacher at a charter school. A family therapist, Pat Harris, come to volunteer in the school. I heard her 20 minute talk with my class and I was amazed. The rowdy group turned into a motivated bunch of kids ... all because of what Pat had said and asked. "Does your anger manage you or do you manage your anger?"


At that moment, I realized that I as a teacher had a lot to gain from teaming up with the guidance department and volunteers who deal with family matters, such as marriage and family counselors.


SO, fast forward 4 years... Between 2004 and 2009, I visited more than two dozen schools including www.newcityschool.org, www.metcenter.org, www.bigpicture.org,

Daniel Webster Middle School in LA, Frida Kahlo High School in LA, High Tech High in San Diego, San Diego Met, CHAD in Philadelphia, Bok Middle School of the Arts in West Palm Beach, Fla., ....
Schools in Florida: Hallandale Adult Community Center, Fort Laud High, Stranahan High, Arthur Ashe Middle, Seminole Middle,
...

I came away from these visits clear in the idea that the principles described by Dennis Littky can be used in virtually any location and the academics will improve. See www.visualandactive.com ... click on "readings"


A quote from Gandhi: We are the change that we want to see in the world.

Well.... it's up to us. Education is everybody's business (as Littky points out...)



So, I'm going to visit for the first time...4 Jan. Karen P. at Sunland has invited me to drop in and we'll discover what I can help do... I hope to start volunteering Tuesday morning... 5 Jan.

No comments:

Post a Comment