Saturday, June 9, 2012

Some key principles about "lecturing less"

What is the essential message of becoming a "Guide on the Side"?

I’ve had some requests from readers of my other sites  www.GuideontheSide.com and TransformTeaching.org to explain the principles of “lecturing less” and becoming a guide on the side.   The key principles are
a)  listening to what students want to learn
b)  sharing with students the research about what experts think will be needed by employees and workers of the future.  I like talking to students as "young adults in training."   Here's what I will talk about with my future colleagues" is the way I introduce some ideas.  (That approach sometimes works.)
c)  taking time to link students to “collaborative skills.”   Show students that they don’t need to re-invent the wheel, just collaborate with others.
You can explore some of the principles of becoming a "Guide on the side" by looking at these videos

For example, the BIBPenpals work connects nicely with Dominos For Schools and the work of PikiFriends.  As an independent educator, I look for useful pieces from other educators.  It helps to give time to teachers to explore and learn from colleagues.
Here’s a link that I suggest to teachers and students:
I’m impressed with the organization and passion of the lessons on this site.  I’m going to recommend that teachers who take my courses look at pikifriends.wordpress.com.     Steve McCrea    trainer.  www.EdutechFoundation.net  and  www.TransformTeaching.org
 
 
Steve McCrea
+1 954 646 8246  if you want to chat.  
Sometimes a phone call is faster than setting up a skype call
SKYPE   SteveEnglishTeacher

No comments:

Post a Comment