Tuesday, November 19, 2013

LIMITS OF TOLERANCE: Surfer language might interfere with precise thinking

Surfer Culture and Language

Tolerant, diverse, inclusive -- or something else?

Gnarly
Awesome
You should really chill.  
I can dig that.
I'm up for that.
That is so down. You know what I mean?
I'm with you.
No problemo, man.

1. The self is elevated.  The entire world is interpreted through the speaker.

This language asserts that the person speaking is the measure of the world.

2.  The language is not precise.  There are no absolutes, except extremes.


When I talk with a surfer dude, I feel I'm talking with a sponge.s  Where is the spine?  Grow a pair, guy.  Not just for the "no fear" attitude.

No Fear.
Oh?  If you have no fear, then 

Because there are no absolutes, you tend to love the one you are with.

I accept you for who you are, man.  

I used to summarize the surfer culture as "adaptable to many circumstances" and "low key."

I used to admire their "non judgmental" nature.

Their "low key, no drama approach" meant, I thought, that they were calm people who had overcome their natural stress-filled lives.   

Instead, I have found a sponge.  It's better to talk to a brick wall.  At least a wall will use your energy and push back.   If you attack a judo master, your force of attack is directed down, out, up and past the target (pulling you past the target).  But when I attempt to find something solid, the only commitment I can get is a commitment to avoid commitment.  

"Being on time is so overrated."

I'm the first in line to redesign "common standards".  I'm the first to create personalized lesson plans.  I'm the first to embrace the individual over the system.

But let's see how a surfer dude would express these guidelines to conduct.

When I went to an English school in 10th grade (age 15), I was in the habit of saying "Great idea" and "That's great" and "Great."  A teacher asked, "Why is everything great for Americans?  Is there something slightly good or satisfactory?"   His comment focused on my surfer talk at the time.    I learned to broaden my vocabulary ...


These guidelines come from an Anglo-Saxon culture of "knowing your place in the community."
Guide to Conduct from Aiglon College

Guide to Conduct
  1. Consider the comfort and convenience of other people. This is the hallmark of courtesy.  
  2. Don't make unnecessary or exaggerated noise. 
  3. Don't draw attention to yourselves. Never be loud or vulgar. 
  4. Show restraint in your dress.
  5. See that your clothes are neat and clean and appropriate to the occasion. 
  6. Don't loiter or lounge about or look sloppy
  7. Always make way for others and defer to anyone older than yourself.
  8. Notice if anyone else is in difficulty and, if you think you can be of service, offer quietly to help.
  9. Show respect to everyone you meet, regardless of their position, nationality, color or religion.

John Corlette


"Get a life, dude."

No comments:

Post a Comment