Tuesday, April 30, 2013

MentorsOnVideo.org, virtual mentors, JacketFlap.com and students in Los Angeles -- something is coming together...

I read somewhere that teachers ought to spend more time looking for mentors than lecturing in class.  More time spent scouring the city for role models would bring in more teachers.

(I think this idea is somewhere in The Big Picture) metcenter.org


From somewhere in JacketFlap.com
So I started an effort called MentorsOnVideo.org.  People who gave me short pieces of advice on video could turn into mentors that I could "call on" via YouTube to offer information to my students.

So when I heard about JacketFlap.com as a way to spread information about my books, I started posting some information and I got an email message from an artist who illustrates books for young adults.  Here's his message:


Hi, Eric Hammond has left you a comment on your profile at JacketFlap.com. Here's Eric's comment: 

Here's a message from Eric:
Greetings, fellow Floridian. Welcome to JacketFlap, Steve.

To leave a comment on Eric's profile, please click on the link below:

http://www.jacketflap.com/profile.asp?member=Eric



Add caption
Hmmm...  I had recently met some students at Highland Park High School (see their efforts below) and I was in the midst of compiling information for a book about virtual mentoring.   So why not introduce some of those students to the artwork of EricHammondSite.com.  

Who knows who might get inspired?   You can find more info at the JacketFlap.com page for Eric.

oh, and looking for inspiration?  How about PeterBregman.com?  The columnist appears in PsychologyToday.com.  I've been looking at his columns for guidance

See the full column

Steve Jobs is often noted for thinking outside the box, but it turns out that innovators have to say "no" more often than I expected.  I thought that being flexible and open-minded might not go with saying "no."   Here's what Jobs observed:

People think focus means saying yes to the thing you've got to focus on. But that's not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully. I'm actually as proud of the things we haven't done as the things I have done. Innovation is saying "no" to 1,000 things.   source for another side of the 1000 "no"s

No comments:

Post a Comment