Friday, May 30, 2014

Teachers: We are charged with exposing students to other cultures. Here's a sound that many lovers of (c)rap music might not know (sent to me by the people behind EEWANA)




One of the functions of school is to expose students to new idea ("new to me and my family and culture" even if the idea is thousands of years old).    I was 42 years old before I heard of Borobudur.   (Tip:  the spelling is  O O U U   borobudur)




Nil showed me this music...
What have I neglected to show my students?   I am motivated to show you something about Turkey because a new REGION is emerging.  It's more than "the Middle East" and more than "Eastern Europe" or "North Africa"... it's EEWANA.   This singer is from Turkey, which is the center of
UDE EE WA NA
EEWANA.  (CLICK HERE to learn more... about TOJDE) I have never heard of her and I doubt if many of my students have taken time to explore mideastern music.  I found this link because a colleague of Ugur Demiray, a translator named Nil Goksel, posted this video on her Facebook wall.  That's the sort of purpose of a teacher, to be a filter.   "Here's what my net caught today" is that reason why I invite students to follow me on Twitter and Facebook.


Here is the LINK that Nil posted
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152410559276052&set=vb.311521866051&type=2&theater


Here is Nil's Facebook page... she is an able translator and she is my "net" for finding remarkable singers.  She did it once.  She might do it again.  She also has translated Richard E. Clark into Turkish. 

Thanks to Nil, I have this link:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI3v_d9tLqg

Look at these articles that she put into Turkish

We are also responsible for the environment that the students experience in our classrooms, so let's post lots of quotes to inspire them.  Here are some links to lists of quotes from Forbes


  • 100 Best Quotes On Leadership - Forbes

    www.forbes.com/sites/kevinkruse/2012/10/.../quotes-on-leadershi...

    Forbes
    Oct 16, 2012 - Below are my top 100 leadership quotes of all time. (Have a favorite quotethat didn't make my list? Share it out in the comments section below!).
  • Top 100 Inspirational Quotes - Forbes

    www.forbes.com/sites/kevinkruse/2013/05/.../inspirational-quotes/

    Forbes
    May 28, 2013 - I write about wholehearted leadership and employee engagement. ... So in the spirit of self motivation, here are 100 inspirational quotes. 1.
    You've visited this page 4 times. Last visit: 5/6/14
  • Top 100 Ideas And Quotes For First-Time Leaders - Forbes

    www.forbes.com/.../top-100-ideas-and-quotes-for-first-time-leade...

    Forbes
    Apr 2, 2014 - As a refresher on the fundamentals of leadership, this highlights 100 of the best ideas and quotes for first-time leaders from my New Leader's ...
  • Empower and Lead Forbes 100 Best Quotes On Leadership

    womenworkingforfinancialfreedom.com/forbes-100-best-quotes-on-lead...

    Sep 10, 2013 - Below are my top 100 leadership quotes of all time. (Have a favoritequote that didn't make my list? Share it out in the comments section below!).
  • 100 Best Quotes On Leadership - Forbes - via Mars-ax ...

    marsax1.newsvine.com/_.../23997744-100-best-quotes-on-leadership-fo...

    6 days ago - The first 10 here: A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.
  • 100 Best Quotes On Leadership | Innovation and ...

    innovation.allygreer.com/p/4011623874/.../100-best-quotes-on-leadershi...

    Nov 25, 2013 - Below are my top 100 leadership quotes of all time. | Innovation and ... From www.forbes.com - November 25, 2013 10:47 AM. A great quote ...

  • Do the right thing.  Click here and give a hit
    and share this sound with a teenager



    This is the sort of help that I get from Nil and Ugur  ... they are academic
    people in Turkey who expose me to Turkish culture...

    and then I can share these elements with my students.















    No comments:

    Post a Comment