I am posting this information to help parents see what a great principal's experience looks like.
To Whom It May Concern,
Please consider this letter of interest, resume and reference list as part of the formal application process.
In my 26 years in education, I have been a teacher, Magnet Coordinator, and administrator. During that time I have had the opportunity to work with a variety of K- 12 schools and school types from Title I regular education to Gifted and Talented. I have enjoyed the challenge of working on closing the achievement gap and improving student performance through the use of best practices for teachers, data driven instruction with differentiation and by having high expectations for all stakeholders. Accountability has been a key focus of mine in my efforts to improve student performance.
I have worked on and have written grants to open new specialized magnet programs for students with special interests at the middle and high school level. In the mid 1990’s, as a member of the Ad-Hoc Change Committee in Houston, Texas, I was part of the beginning process for writing No Child Left Behind. I have also collaborated on and written five- and six-year district strategic plans for small school systems in Florida, Texas and Arkansas. In these endeavors I have been given responsibility for:
- • Management and administration of the overall instructional program including accreditation reviews at district and building level
- • Development, evaluation and assessment of new instructional programs at the district and building level
- • Selection of materials including textbooks and equipment for district wide and building usage
- • Management of budgets ($21,000 to $4 million) at school and district levels
- • Publications concerning school materials at the school, district and state levels (Statistical Briefs between 1978-1981) for the Florida Department of Education
- • Coordinating and developing family literacy programs and Pre-K initiatives
- • Supervision and evaluation of personnel
- • Implementation and administration of negotiated employee contracts
- • Coordination and supervision of transportation services, student discipline and facilities
- • Active recruiting and support of business partnerships and community relationships
- • Implementation of strategic planning
- • Communication with all stakeholders
- • Primary and assistant grant writer for federal and state funding sources
- • Data and statistical operations at the state level working with public and non-public schools
- • Administrator at all three levels of K-12 education; Goal oriented leadership style used at all levels
- • Teacher at the K-16 level in Reading, English and Computer Sciences
- • Extensive work on “closing the achievement gap” through refining the curriculum, using data driven strategies, the use of technology and staff development procedures; having high expectations academically and socially for all students.
Also in my career, as an administrator and thru the use of my degrees in Language Arts and Reading, I have led an elementary school from needs improvement (corrective action) by state guidelines to being a high achieving school in the top 10% of the state within a three year period.
In so doing the school earned the prestigious International Reading Association Award for Outstanding Reading Programs for 2004 and the Exemplary Reading School Award for Georgia 2004. Through these achievements the school also earned the Jostens’ Renaissance School People’s Choice Award for 2004 and 2005.
In 2003, I had the honor of being an attendee and presenter at the Oxford Roundtable on Gender Equity in Education. I wrote and presented a paper on Girls in the 21st Century and the Technologically Literate World. Through this experience I have worked with many colleges and universities in researching and examining the gender differences that occur within our schools.
I hold both a Bachelor and Masters Degree from Florida State University in Language Arts, Reading and Social Studies with an additional 30 hours in Educational Leadership from Texas Southern University. I have all but a dissertation completed (ABD) at Capella University in Educational Leadership for Higher Education.
Thank you for taking the time to consider my application
For contact info, write to TheEbookman@gmail.com ...
I look forward to working for this principal again...