Monday, December 17, 2012

Here is an example of how to extend the learning.... Help students move the short term memory into long term memory...


to my students...  my next classes for SAT test prep (also good for PERT):

January 29 to Feb 19  Tuesdays   6-9 pm  Central   Building 5, room 205

January 16 to Feb 13, 6-9 pm  South campus, bldg 91, room 101 
REMEMBER, I need cultural ambassadors.  www.BIBPenpals.com      Many thanks to Claudia Gonzalez for showing up at past classes.  

There is no charge to visit my classes.   Visitors become teaching assistants and peer and near-peer consultants.   Your ability to transfer the information from short-term to long-term memory is improved if you stop by my class, even for an half hour or 45 minutes.   Bring questions, please be open to the questions of new people, and help reduce fear of math.

I provide pistachios, almonds, and water to refresh and sustain my volunteers who give their time.   Wasn't it great to have Claudia visit our class in November?   Well, you become the new Claudia.  Your presence will electrify the classroom and make the learning experience deeper for the new students.

The principles of the class are described in www.FloridaTestPrep.com  but it is the LIVING of the principles that you students are now challenged to do.   Can you carry these principles in your other academic and non-academic affairs?

-- bring questions to class
-- ask a colleague
-- use the text and email access
-- build a portfolio
-- LASSIE
-- anticipate issues and ask for help
-- anticipate issues and offer help
-- the 12 global skills
-- prepare for creating your "brand"  What is your net impact?

That's a nutshell of the SAT test prep philosophy.

I also use the nine guidelines from my high school.

Again, my system is based on the works of Dennis Littky, Enrique Gonzalez, Marshall Thurber, Howard Gardner, Dennis Yuzenas, www.WhatDoYakNow.com and Claudia's excellent site www.spreadthegoodvibes.com, plus www.VeryCoolSites.com.  Let me know if you have some videos that you can recommend for the 500 videos project.


No comments:

Post a Comment