Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"How do you find out about interesting new ideas?" (1) Subscribe to YouTube channels such as ShalowShow and (2) Listen to the interviews with authors and (3) Read Susan Greenfield's novel 2121: A Tale from the Next Century

Some of my students ask, "Where do you hear about these interesting new ideas?" and "How did you hear about the novel 2121?  What did you search for?"

I didn't search.  I clicked here

Baroness Susan Greenfield at Oxford University




Susan Greenfield has other videos....




When I want to find out a new trend, I click on links sent to me by Youtube (I have subscribed to over 50 channels) and I try to remember to look for the latest YouTube upload from Richard Peritz.  Richard manages several YouTube channels, posting interviews with professors and other experts.   The interview that inspired a poster was with Susan Greenfield, who said, "It's something that I've wanted to do and I've done it.  I always fancied doing it and now I have. "  She described the book as a dystopia.  "It's an extension of issues of today, including mindchange [a concept similar to climate change, but taking place in our brains].   The novel is a look at trends and projections.  What will happen in 2121?  What kind of society will we have?"



Richard Peritz, manager of YouTube channels


Richard hands a book to Susan Greenfield

a comment left by a teacher in Florida
A portion of the Christiakis video




It's something that I've wanted to do and I've done it.  I always fancied doing it and now I have.
Susan Greenfield (Minute 16:50)

Richard Peritz is particularly skilled at getting people comfortable on camera and giving them space to exhibit their passion.  I listened to Susan Greenfield speak enthusiastically about her novel and I want my students to hear her say that sentences that are in blue (above).  I want my students to say the same at some point in their lives.


2121: A Tale from the Next Century


http://www.amazon.co.uk/books/dp/1908800577



Here are some extracts (students, start the story...)

















You can read more here
Many readers will not take the trouble to click to get the sample chapter... that's why the portions are shown here.

Here is a review of the book
(The Guardian)


RECOMMENDATIONS FOR STUDENTS
(1) Subscribe to Richard Peritz's YouTube Channels.
Click Here
youtube.com/user/SHALOMshowTV
youtube.com/user/FloridasfinestTV
(2)  Search about something that you find in one of his videos.

Click here

You'll learn something interesting today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka8mAYwE55g


By the way, how about a click?




No comments:

Post a Comment