Sunday, July 7, 2013

What are your procedures regarding classroom management?

The question has arisen in four of the five interviews that I've endured in the past three weeks.  I quote my friend and mentor Dennis Yuzenas
-- catch the kid doing something right
-- contact the parent with good news
-- then when the kid does something less than stellar, I already have a relationship with the parent.

The secret is to build positive relationships with parents and students so that there is a reason for them to invest in changes in behavior.

I can see the eyes of the principal glazing over... 

I've decided that I'm going to start quoting John Dewey.  This piece comes from an end note to Chapter 4 in The Big Picture.   Dennis Littky quotes Dewey in reference to self-discipline.

You can find the free chapters by clicking here
Chapter 1
Chapter 4

If you are smart, you'll find someone who is a member of ASCD who will share with you the emailed newsletters... full of good tips. 

Chapter 1


Chapter 4

No comments:

Post a Comment